The Diplomatic Security Service (DSS) Cyber Threat and Investigations office (CTI) confronts cyber threats and crimes involving computers and other electronic technologies affecting the State Department.
CTI’s highly skilled staff of special agents and civilian forensic examiners, network analysts, and evidence technicians accomplish CTI’s mission by:
- Performing advanced threat analysis
- Conducting digital evidence recovery and analysis
- Conducting worldwide investigations involving computers or other digital devices
- Investigating cyber crimes impacting the State Department
- Centralizing DSS cybersecurity coordination with intelligence and law enforcement agencies
Through CTI, DSS supports State Department programs by seizing, examining, and analyzing digital evidence used in both criminal and non-criminal activities that affect the State Department’s mission.
CTI personnel analyze those items utilizing the latest forensic technology and methods to extract relevant electronic evidence.