Foreign Affairs Life Skills Training
Transition Center’s Life Skills courses and webinars prepare foreign affairs community members to effectively navigate the many transitions and adjustments required for success in their mobile lifestyle. These programs offer targeted training to all U.S. Government employees, adult family members, and children preparing for or on an overseas assignment. The training spans from those new to the foreign affairs experience to those in transition.
Online Training Resources
- So You’re an American? A Guide to Answering Difficult Questions Abroad – for all Americans living and working abroad to prepare for the informal and unofficial questions they will receive while overseas.
- Overseas Crisis Readiness – helps U.S. Government families and members of household prepare for a crisis overseas.
Courses and Webinars by Date
The list of courses by date features upcoming webinars and webinar video recordings for the foreign affairs community.
Courses by Category
Available to employees and eligible family members assigned to a mission overseas from all foreign affairs agencies. Email the Transition Center to register.
Preparing for Foreign Affairs Life
- Orientation to the Department of State for Foreign Affairs Agencies (MQ119) | Course Details
- Foreign Service Spouse Orientation (MQ120) | Course Details
- Cross Cultural Communication for the Foreign Affairs Community (MQ802) | Course Details
- Understanding the Foreign Affairs Lifestyle (MQ803) | Course Details
- Ask the Expert: Maintaining your Identity as a Globally Mobile EFM
- Ask the Expert: Training your Mind to Thrive in the Cultural Adaptation Process
Employment for Family Members
- Basics of Overseas Employment for EFMs (MQ703) | Course Details
- Employment Tools for EFMs (MQ704) | Course Details
- International Development: Employment Options for EFMs (MQ705) | Course Details
- Ask the Expert: Entrepreneur Basics for EFMs (MQ707) (three-part webinar series) | Course Details
- Virtual Work Opportunities for EFMs (MQ708) | Course Details
- Ask the Expert: Teaching and Working in Education Overseas for EFMs (MQ709) | Course Details
- Ask the Expert: Legal Considerations for EFMs Working Overseas (MQ710) (three-part webinar series) | Course Details
- Regulations, Allowances and Finances in the Foreign Service Context (MQ104) | Course Details
- Tax Considerations for the Foreign Affairs Community
- Personal Finances and Investments for Foreign Affairs Personnel (MQ852) | Course Details
- Estate Planning in the Foreign Affairs Community (MQ854) | Course Details
Foreign Affairs Families with Children
- Educating Your Special Needs Child in the Foreign Affairs Community (MQ118) | Course Details
- Encouraging Resilience in Your Foreign Affairs Child (MQ500) | Course Details
Going Overseas and Logistics
- Going Overseas for Singles and Couples without Children (MQ200) | Course Details
- Going Overseas for Families with Children (MQ210) | Course Details
- Going Overseas: Preparing for your Move for Singles and Couples without Children (MQ220) | Course Details
- Going Overseas: Preparing for your Move for Families with Children (MQ230) | Course Details
- Traveling with Pets for the Foreign Affairs Community (MQ855) | Course Details